[Xapian-discuss] Grouping Results (again)

Ben Campbell ben at scumways.com
Mon Nov 2 11:32:17 GMT 2009

Richard Boulton wrote:
> 2009/11/2 Ben Campbell <ben at scumways.com>:
>> I've got a bunch of indexed documents (newspaper articles).
>> Each document has 0 or more authors.
>>
>> I want to show search results grouped by author.
>
> What does that mean, where there is more than 1 author?  Would you
> want a search result to appear in multiple groups?  Or somehow pick
> one of the author groups to appear under?

/Ideally/, I'd want an article to appear in multiple groups, eg:

Bob Smith
   Article A
   Article B (with Fred Bloggs)
   Article C

Fred Blogs
   Article B (with Bob Smith)
   Article D

etc...

> The separate database approach you mention might well be a good idea -
> though if you need to do incremental updates, that might be a killer.

Well, I've got 2000-3000 new articles coming in each day, so yeah, there
probably would be some incrememtal updating involved :-(
I need to update 1000-2000 authors per day, I'd guess. Which might not
be so bad.
Worth trying, anyway.

> Alternatively, the facet support (on trunk, and improved to allow
> multiple facet values for a particular category in the matchspy
> branch) might be what you want.  This will let you get a list of all
> the authors which are in your result set.

Ahh... sounds interesting - will investigate!

Thanks muchly,
Ben.