[Xapian-discuss] Clearing Database For Tests

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Nov 3 22:26:10 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 10:29:36AM -0800, Ryan Bates wrote:
> I'm using Mac OS X 10.6.1 and Ruby 1.8.7 with HFS+. I'm not sure how
> easy/possible it is to get strace installed on here, but I'll first
> see if I can get some fsync data through dtrace.

On OS X, as of 1.0.14, we use F_FULLSYNC which is likely to be slower than
fsync()/fdatasync() (because it does the job better):

* Use F_FULLFSYNC where available (Mac OS X currently) to ensure that changes
  have been committed to disk.  (ticket#288)

So that could be why it's slower for you.  If this is the case, I guess we
either stop using F_FULLFSYNC (at least when creating afresh) or find a way
to reduce the time penalty it incurs.