[Xapian-discuss] Clearing Database For Tests

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Nov 3 22:47:44 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 09:21:44AM -0800, Ryan Bates wrote:
> I'm also getting 0.05 seconds with simpleindex after installing Xapian
> 1.0.16; before, when I was using 1.0.15, simpleindex was around 0.35
> seconds.

That's surprising as nothing obviously relevant to this changed in xapian-core
between 1.0.15 and 1.0.16.

> Unfortunately I'm not familiar with C profiling, and rub-prof isn't
> very helpful helpful:

We have this, but it's mostly Linux-specific:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/ProfilingXapian

If anyone has useful insights for other platforms (or more for Linux) please
contribute them.

For Mac OS X, Xcode has a profiler called "Shark" but I don't know much about
it:

http://developer.apple.com/tools/sharkoptimize.html