[Xapian-discuss] Install questions for 1.0.16 and 1.1.2

James Aylett james at tartarus.org
Wed Oct 21 19:09:15 BST 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:36:04AM -0400, Ying Liu wrote:

> I sent two emails to Xapian Discussion yesterday but I guess it didn't
> send correctly.

You were using the wrong email address. You've found the right one now.

> Then, I download the "uuid-dev_1.2-1.41.4-lubuntu1_lpia.deb"
> package. When I run the uuid package, it told me Wrong architecture
> 'lpia'.

I strongly recommend learning to use the higher-level package
management systems in Ubuntu rather than trying to install individual
packages manually. This will avoid these kinds of problems.

It it entirely possible to build xapian-core on Ubuntu, even if
another version is already installed. I suggest you build
xapian-core 1.0.16, install it, and then build Search-Xapian against
it. (It sounds like you were trying to build Search-Xapian without
installing your new xapian-core.) If that doesn't work, come back with
just the first thing that goes wrong, with the full error message and
a list of steps taken up until that point.

  James Aylett

  talktorex.co.uk - xapian.org - uncertaintydivision.org