[Xapian-discuss] Xapian on SSD vs SATA

Henry henka at cityweb.co.za
Fri Oct 23 10:26:15 BST 2009

Greets,

Either Xapian is not as IO intensive as I always thought, or I'm
missing something.

I've been running some tests to assess how many search nodes I'll need
for a nnnGB index to ensure ~1s search query performance.

The idea was to reduce the number of nodes needed using SSDs (since
the performance gains (eg) on an IO intensive DB are staggering)
versus the number needed using standard SATA disks (ie, larger index
on SSDs using less nodes, versus smaller indexes on more nodes using
slower SATA hard drives).

Anyway, the results are disappointing.  The SSD provides no
appreciable performance gain at all (aside:  the SSD was using ext2
since it was also used to test a DB app, which didn't need the
journalling overhead of ext3 - this might explain the .10 - .80 second
average *slower* performance of the SSD).

My gut is that Xapian is more sequential-read intensive (not random
IO) which would explain this disappointing result.  Am I right?

Cheers
Henry