[Xapian-discuss] Powered by Xapian

Daniel Ménard Daniel.Menard at ehesp.fr
Wed Sep 16 16:32:20 BST 2009

Olly Betts a écrit :
>> May I create a new page on the wiki and upload them so we can discuss
>> further? Or perhaps a new ticket? Please let me know.
>>

> Sure.  A wiki page seems best - if the name is sane we can just evolve
> it into a permanent home for such images.
>
> You should be able to attach files to wiki pages and reference them
> inline.  If not, let me know and I'll check the trac permissions.

I've just tested with the SandBox page. I'm able to upload and attach a
file, but I don't see an option to then delete the attachment...

BTW, if I save many times the wiki page, won't it generate too many
entries in the trac timeline, and perhaps send mails to admins or things
like that?
(I ask because I see that my test now appear in the timeline and I don't
want to create "pollution"...)

> My (probably inaccurate) understanding is that the actual shapes of a
> typeface and bitmap renderings of them aren't copyrightable (at least in
> the US), but scalable fonts (with hinting) are regarded as computer
> programs of sufficient complexity to be subject to copyright.
>
> I don't know how this would apply to an SVG of text rendered using a
> scalable typeface (I'd guess the outline is rendered as if at a certain
> point size, and only the results of the hinting are present in the SVG),
> and the situation may not be the same outside the US anyway.

Ok.

>> If you agree, it would be easy to do as Drupal.
>>

> Legally it may be fine to provide an SVG version, but it's unambiguously
> safe to use a freely licensed font, and it's certainly philosophically
> more consistent.  So I think that's probably my preference if we can
> find one which looks good with the logo.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure to understand your answer... Do you mean I
should:
(1) use the commercial font for the logo and provide SVG versions for
the texts (Drupal approach);
(2) try to find a free alternative font which looks similar;
(3) try (2) and then (1) if no free font can be used;

(1) is very easy to do. For (2), the font "American Typewriter Medium
BT" can be downloaded freely from many web sites [1] and looks very
similar, but how can I be sure that this font is really free/not
licensed/not copyrighted?

>> Last : I don't know what are the most useful sizes/formats to offer to
>> users.
>> If anybody have any hint/recommendation, it would help (for now I've
>> just taken multiples of 2 for the height: 16, 32, 64, 128 and 256 px).
>>

> That seems a good start.  If we also provide SVG versions where possible
> it'll be easy for people to produce them at other sizes too.

OK, will do that.

Thanks for your patience!

Cheers,

Daniel