[Xapian-discuss] Powered by Xapian

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Sep 16 18:01:03 BST 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 05:32:20PM +0200, Daniel Ménard wrote:
> Olly Betts a écrit :
> > You should be able to attach files to wiki pages and reference them
> > inline.  If not, let me know and I'll check the trac permissions.
> >
> I've just tested with the SandBox page. I'm able to upload and attach a
> file, but I don't see an option to then delete the attachment...

It looks like that's probably controlled by the WIKI_DELETE permission
which is only available to admins currently.  I think we'd want to
check that deletion can be undone before allowing it to be done by
anyone who signs up for an account (so spam and vandalism can be
reversed).

> BTW, if I save many times the wiki page, won't it generate too many
> entries in the trac timeline, and perhaps send mails to admins or things
> like that?
> (I ask because I see that my test now appear in the timeline and I don't
> want to create "pollution"...)

It appears in the wiki edits timeline, and RSS feed for that.  I'd say
don't worry about it - the wiki is there for people to use, so use it.

> > Legally it may be fine to provide an SVG version, but it's unambiguously
> > safe to use a freely licensed font, and it's certainly philosophically
> > more consistent.  So I think that's probably my preference if we can
> > find one which looks good with the logo.
> >
> I'm sorry, but I'm not sure to understand your answer... Do you mean I
> should:
> (1) use the commercial font for the logo and provide SVG versions for
> the texts (Drupal approach);
> (2) try to find a free alternative font which looks similar;
> (3) try (2) and then (1) if no free font can be used;

Or maybe I should...

I think it would be better to find a free (as in freedom not just as in
beer) font.  It doesn't necessarily have to look similar even, provided
it looks good with the logo.

> (1) is very easy to do. For (2), the font "American Typewriter Medium
> BT" can be downloaded freely from many web sites [1] and looks very
> similar, but how can I be sure that this font is really free/not
> licensed/not copyrighted?

There was no URL for "[1]", but I found it and if I open it in the Gnome
font viewer I see:

	Copyright 1990-1998 Bitstream Inc.  All rights reserved.

Which doesn't sound promising.