[Xapian-discuss] Failure compiling 1.0.19 on OSX 10.5.8

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Apr 29 06:11:48 BST 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 09:40:51AM +0100, Sym Roe wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Zach Dennis <zach.dennis at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Olly, any thoughts on this suggestion to tag a new release with the patch?

It's often a mistake to rush out a new release for a single fix in this sort
of situation - a fix can easily cause further issues.

And indeed that would have been the case here, as that patch broke building on
FreeBSD.  1.0.20 is now out, and has a different fix which is only activated
for Cygwin.

> I found this problem too, and for now (before I saw that patch), I'm
> just using 1.0.18.  Unless you really need one of the (fairly small)
> changes in 1.0.19
> (http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/ReleaseOverview/1.0.19), I don't think
> this will be a problem, if you really don't want to apply a patch.

The wiki just lists the more notable changes - the full list is somewhat
longer.  But indeed, if you don't want to apply a patch, sticking with 1.0.18
until 1.0.20 is a reasonable option.

As I pointed out to Zach on IRC, there are also snapshot tarballs from the 1.0
branch available:

http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/branches/1.0/