[Xapian-discuss] Failure compiling 1.0.19 on OSX 10.5.8

Zach Dennis zach.dennis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 15:26:11 BST 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 09:40:51AM +0100, Sym Roe wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Zach Dennis <zach.dennis at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > Olly, any thoughts on this suggestion to tag a new release with the
> patch?
>
> It's often a mistake to rush out a new release for a single fix in this
> sort
> of situation - a fix can easily cause further issues.

I completely understand.

> And indeed that would have been the case here, as that patch broke building
> on
> FreeBSD.  1.0.20 is now out, and has a different fix which is only
> activated
> for Cygwin.

Thanks for pushing that out.

> > I found this problem too, and for now (before I saw that patch), I'm
> > just using 1.0.18.  Unless you really need one of the (fairly small)
> > changes in 1.0.19
> > (http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/ReleaseOverview/1.0.19), I don't think
> > this will be a problem, if you really don't want to apply a patch.
>
> The wiki just lists the more notable changes - the full list is somewhat
> longer.  But indeed, if you don't want to apply a patch, sticking with
> 1.0.18
> until 1.0.20 is a reasonable option.
>
> As I pointed out to Zach on IRC, there are also snapshot tarballs from the
> 1.0
> branch available:
>
> http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/branches/1.0/

Thanks for your feedback and reasoning.  I understand and appreciate where
you're coming from. We didn't want to manually apply a patch at the time
because we're automatically building xapian. We will just rollback if a new
release fails to build. Thanks for all of your hard work on Xapian,

--
Zach Dennis
http://www.continuousthinking.com (personal)