[Xapian-discuss] Partial search on prefixed data

Sean McCleary sean.mccleary at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 00:49:33 BST 2010

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to do an "Auto-complete" widget for the search field on a
website, which has Xapian running behind it.  (Using the PHP bindings.)

I have the name of a search result prefixed with "name", so as the user
types, it triggers a search for "name:whatever the user put in".

This seems like an ideal use for the FLAG_PARTIAL flag; in fact the
documentation seems to mention this very scenario.

However, FLAG_PARTIAL doesn't seem to work when searching with a prefix.  It
_does_ work when I remove the prefix, but then of course I don't get the
results that I'm after.

Is this the desired behavior? If so, is there a way to do what I'm after?
Google and the docs haven't contained the answer for me thus far...

Thanks a bunch,
Sean