[Xapian-discuss] Enquire::get_mset() "first" and MatchDecider

Jean-Francois Dockes jf at dockes.org
Thu Dec 16 10:47:46 GMT 2010

Hello,

This is a somewhat idle question about Enquire::get_mset(), possibly based
on wrong assumptions on how Xapian works, but I would be grateful if
someone satisfied my curiosity.

Xapian::MSet Xapian::Enquire::get_mset(Xapian::doccount first,
                           Xapian::doccount maxitems,
                           const Xapian::RSet * omrset = 0,
                           const Xapian::MatchDecider * mdecider = 0) const

I had assumed that the "first" parameter referred to an index in the result
set as filtered by the MatchDecider, but then it seems strange that you can
change the latter from call to call.

Under what conditions can you change the mdecider used and keep a
consistent (result set index)-to-(document id) correspondance for a given
mdecider ? I'm guessing you have to restart from first==0 ? Shouldn't
mdecider only be changeable as part of some kind of "rewind" operation
then?

Cheers,

J.F. Dockes