[Xapian-discuss] upgraded 1.0.19 to 1.2.0 - indexing seems to be getting stuck

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Wed Jun 2 07:21:03 BST 2010

Olly Betts wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 06:14:07PM +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Today I upgraded to 1.2.0 - and my indexing jobs are now getting hung
>> up.  They appear to be waiting on a futex.  Not everyone, but every
>> now and then.  I'll try to get some diagnostics.
>
> Some more details would be useful too - you don't even mention the OS
> or language you're using (though I guess Linux if you have futexes).

Sorry, I tend to forget that.  I'm on Linux and using C++.  I have
written a indexing utility that reads files from disk, parses the
contents and indexes them.

> If you can, attach gdb to the stuck process and get a backtrace (bt).

Not of much use, I suspect:

0xffffe430 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0xffffe430 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1  0x40604643 in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0x4059ad71 in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.6
Backtrace stopped: previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt
stack?)

> I've not seen anything like this myself.  We don't directly use
> futexes or threading on Unix platforms, so it's not obvious where to
> look without more information.

Interestingly, it seems to be waiting for a fork()ed "/bin/cat" which
seems to be happening in backends/flint_lock.cc ?

/Per Jessen, Zürich