[Xapian-discuss] Xapian 1.2.0 build fails on libxapian.la target - Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9) sun4u SPARC

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Jun 7 13:13:49 BST 2010

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 04:28:55PM -0600, Craig Talbert wrote:
> I've only pasted the last few lines of where the Xapian build fails
> below (the entire piece is 6639 lines long). I didn't get any warnings
> regarding zlib or libuuid from configure, so I'm assuming I have
> compatible versions.

Solaris has its own libuuid library, which is pretty close to the e2fsprogs
one, so we use that (as of 1.1.3 when I added fixes for the missing function
and const-ness of parameters).

> I am using libtool 2.2.6b, GNU ld 2.20.2010303.

If you build from a tarball, then your libtool doesn't get used (unless you
force it to be by running libtoolize or autoreconf).

> I know gcc 3.3.2 is a little behind the times, but I see the the
> documentation the minimum requirement is 3.1. I also see James Aylett
> reported compiling Xapian version 1.0.5 on the Solaris 9 with platform
> with gcc 3.3.

I just tried 1.2.0 on Solaris:

$ uname -a
SunOS current9s 5.9 Generic_Virtual sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5220
$ g++ --version
g++ (GCC) 3.4.6

xapian-core built fine with this (I didn't try anything else as that was
where you reported an issue).

Your errors don't meant much to me, but I'd suggest trying to build with
--disable-shared - older GCC didn't work well with shared builds on Solaris.
If that doesn't help, all I can suggest is to upgrade GCC I'm afraid.