[Xapian-discuss] Xapian 1.2.0 build fails on libxapian.la target - Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9) sun4u SPARC

Craig Talbert craig.talbert at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 19:52:15 BST 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 6:13 AM, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:
> Your errors don't meant much to me, but I'd suggest trying to build with
> --disable-shared - older GCC didn't work well with shared builds on Solaris.
> If that doesn't help, all I can suggest is to upgrade GCC I'm afraid.

Thanks guys, I tried with --disable-shared and xapian and omega compiled.

To get omega working I ended up making a Perl wrapper for it and
passed it the CGI parameters in the script. For whatever reason when
ran as user nobody omega couldn't find libuuid.so.1 (although this ran
fine from the command line). I ended up copying libuuid.so.1 putting
it in omega's directory and then added the current directory to the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable in the perl script and that
worked. I did this after trying to put libuuid.so.1's regular location
in LD_LIBRARY_PATH (in my case /lib) and also trying to run omega with
the setuid bit set -- neither of those worked.

I'd imagine if I was more unix-savvy I could get to the root of the
issue it had finding libuuid.so.1 (it doesn't seem like a xapian
issue) but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

- Craig