[Xapian-discuss] Xapian for mailman

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Mar 17 04:14:06 GMT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 03:10:36PM +0100, Cédric Jeanneret wrote:
> I've created an indexer for mailman stuff, using xappy. Mark Sapiro
> (from mailman) has helped me, and has added some documentation on
> mailman FAQ. You can find my code here :
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/531942
> The last file does all ;).
>
> Feel free to use it and comment it out if you think I've done things
> wrong in the xapian part.

I don't really know xappy's API, but it looks like for every message you
open the database, add a single document, and then flush and close the
database.

For a server handling a lot of high volume lists, that may fail to keep
up, which is going to be problematic.  It's much more efficient to add
documents in batches, though that is obviously going to take more work
to arrange.