[Xapian-discuss] xapian-tcpsrv php in real fastcgi loop

Kevin Duraj kevin.softdev at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 01:08:35 BST 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 02:53:21PM +0100, Martin Regner wrote:
>> Do i have to reindex all the stuff after upgrading to 1.1.4? I tested it on
>> the devserver without doing so and had no issues so far (but you never know).
>
> If you're using the default "flint" backend in 1.0.x, then that will work
> fine with 1.1.x and (once released) 1.2.x.  But as of 1.1.4, the default
> backend is now chert, which is generally smaller and faster and has more
> features.  Flint will be removed in the next development series (1.3.x).

I am wondering about Flint removal in the next development series
(1.3.x) and would like to ask what will replace Flint database in the
future? In 2007 I expressed a strong opinion against switching to use
default database Flint vs. Quartz based on my performance analysis,
which I conducted running large scale documents on Flint and Quartz. I
hope the next database will be faster than Flint and Quartz. Indexing
and search performance should take priority over the size of the index
in the next development series (1.3.x).

By the way, I installed Ubuntu Server 9.10 instead of CentOS and I
love it. Ubuntu server showing least 1GB more available memory over
the same installation in CentOS and the ext4 runs awesome, it feels
like the xapian-compact which is very heavy on IO, now merging indexes
little faster.

Kevin Duraj
http://find1friend.com/