[Xapian-discuss] Influence of Google PageRank of a page on other pages of same site

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Fri Nov 19 11:07:03 GMT 2010

On 19 Nov 2010, at 07:03, Henry C. wrote:

>> Are you aware there's a published paper describing pagerank in detail?
>>
>> http://infolab.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html
>
> Thanks yes, I'm aware of this paper.  It does not touch on the topic I've
> raised and I was wondering about the merit of such an approach (ie, the
> organic vote/value of a page influencing the perceived value of the other
> pages of a site as a whole).

I suspect you'd have to do some modelling and then build an experiment to really know. (Which is what I'm sure Google does when someone has any ideas on how to improve search.)

I'm probably wrong, but it doesn't seem to me that it would be worth the effort to spread authority weight to "neighbours" — the correlation between neighbouring pages feels like it would often be low. However that may be observation bias. (And you could do it with some classes of site; so not MySpace, for instance.)

 James Aylett
 talktorex.co.uk - xapian.org - devfort.com