[Xapian-discuss] In-memory databases vs PHP Bindings

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Oct 23 14:10:40 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 08:27:57PM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> On 22 Oct 2010, at 11:13, Olly Betts wrote:
>
> >> and some work to be able to ship built docs without the logo, since
> >> that's required for Debian.)
> >
> > Why's that?  Are you assuming the logo licence isn't DFSG-free?
>
> From what I remember, we discussed the logo licence at some point last year,
> and decided it wasn't. If I'm wrong, then that doesn't need to be done.

I guess you mean here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.general/7774/focus=7784

There are two issues here, which it's better not to conflate.

The first is the terms under which we were given the logo.

The SVG logo we're probably using here (perhaps in rendered form) was
actually redrawn by Jenny Black, but it's clearly closely based on the
original logo image, so it's likely that the copyright of that matters
too.

I'm fairly sure we don't have any sort of formal licence declaration for
the logo from the original artist, but it's reasonable to assume it was
contributed with the intention that we can actually use.

It would certainly be better to clarify this.  As I mentioned in the
thread linked to above, I managed to track down an email address which
seemed highly likely to be for the right guy, but it looks like I never
actually sent an email.  I'll try to actually do that - hopefully I
made a note of the address, or can refind it.

The other issue is under what terms we want to make the logo available.
I'm not sure what the best answer to that is, but if it's not a licence
which permits distributing modified versions, packagers such as Debian
who care about such things will probably not want to include it.

Probably the simplest thing is to just drop in an unbranded image with
the same dimensions for the source distribution, at least for now.