[Xapian-discuss] In-memory databases vs PHP Bindings

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Oct 24 16:33:32 BST 2010

On 23 Oct 2010, at 14:10, Olly Betts wrote:

>> From what I remember, we discussed the logo licence at some point last year,
>> and decided it wasn't. If I'm wrong, then that doesn't need to be done.
>
> I guess you mean here:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.general/7774/focus=7784
>
> There are two issues here, which it's better not to conflate.

Umm, yeah, turns out my memory wasn't as clear as I expected. That's what I was referring to.

> The SVG logo we're probably using here (perhaps in rendered form) was
> actually redrawn by Jenny Black, but it's clearly closely based on the
> original logo image, so it's likely that the copyright of that matters
> too.

It absolutely does. Hopefully you can get in touch with the original artist and clear this up, although as you point out in some ways it's the less important side of this issue.

> The other issue is under what terms we want to make the logo available.
> I'm not sure what the best answer to that is, but if it's not a licence
> which permits distributing modified versions, packagers such as Debian
> who care about such things will probably not want to include it.

My feeling is that we shouldn't distribute our logo under a license that permits modification. (Further, we shouldn't permit non-Xapian-related use of the logo, otherwise it's utterly useless for us as branding, which is its main purpose.)

> Probably the simplest thing is to just drop in an unbranded image with
> the same dimensions for the source distribution, at least for now.

This has spurred me to look at the branch again, so I'll try to drop a generic text-only image or something in at the same time.

 James Aylett
 talktorex.co.uk - xapian.org - devfort.com