[Xapian-discuss] Xapian 1.2.3 released

Charlie Hull charlie at flax.co.uk
Wed Sep 1 16:21:55 BST 2010

On 01/09/2010 16:09, Menard, Daniel wrote:
>> Windows build files and binaries are now at the usual place:
>> http://www.flax.co.uk/xapian_binaries
>
> Thanks Charlie! As usual, this is highly appreciated!
>

>> Notable changes are support for Python 2.7 and the use of Microsoft
>> Visual Studio 2008 to build the binaries over the 2005 version.
>
> The move to VS2008 (VC9) is a good one, but this involves, for a php
> user like me, to completely replace the http stack used (finding VC9
> binaries for apache, for apache modules, for php and for every php
> extension I use) which is not so easy on Windows...

Oh dear - would you prefer it if I stuck with VS2005? It doesn't make a
lot of difference to me to be honest, I just thought VS2005 was getting
a bit old!

> By the way, do you plan to provide binaries for php 5.3 in the future?
> I see that php_xapian.dll is still linked against php 5.2 but it is not
> active anymore [1].

Yes, it's on my list, but unfortunately I haven't got round to doing it
yet. Building PHP from source for Windows is the first step, and this
can be painful. If 5.2 is becoming obsolete then perhaps I should try
and get this done soon.

> In fact, do you know if Xapian bindings can be compiled against php 5.3?
> I know about ticket #459 [2] but I'm not sure I understand it correctly:
> IIRC, the php api version change with every minor release (5.1, 5.2,
> 5.3...) so it is normal that a binary for php 5.2 can not be used with
> php 5.3. I probably miss something!

It's not quite that simple, the module API has changed: I believe
previously modules for one version would work with another. In any case
it will mean we have to create separate binaries for 5.3.

Charlie