[Xapian-discuss] Is there a better way to do a distributed search server with xapian?

hightman hightman at zuaa.zju.edu.cn
Tue Sep 14 14:26:32 BST 2010

As I known,  we can split huge documents into many smaller databases on other machines,
and Xapian can search across these remote databases by adding them together using
xapian::Database::add_database().

In fact,  Xapian read the data(termlist, postlist ...) from each database in a linear mode
and then calculate the matched result.  So when I have remote databases too many,
this implemention will be terrible and ineffective, because it cann't really search on
these machines simultaneously.

Therefore, I am looking for a better scheme to make a distributed search server.
I think that I should write a special server which can merge the top N search result returned by xapian
from each machine. But I still have a trouble about the sort, relevance rank calculated alone in different
database may has different weigth.

Please  give me some advice about this, thanks.