[Xapian-discuss] [Xapian-devel] Building Xapian on Mac OSX 10.6.x

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sat Apr 30 21:32:42 BST 2011

Please keep things on-list if possible, so that more people are available to help.

On 30 Apr 2011, at 01:03, Ira Ray Jenkins wrote:

>       I have yet to successfully build xapian and the python bindings
> on my mac OSx 10.6; however, in the process of trying to track down
> the problem I came across a website that suggested I actually see what
> arch everything is being built for...
>
> Looking at my python installation:
> file `which python`
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python: Mach-O
> universal binary with 2 architectures
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python (for
> architecture i386):	Mach-O executable i386
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python (for
> architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
>

> Then looking at _xapian.so:
> file /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/xapian/_xapian.so
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/xapian/_xapian.so:
> Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64
>
> This seems interesting in that which I configured both xapian core and
> xapian bindings, I used:
> ./configure CXX="g++ -m32"
>
> Am I missing an option, because it looks to be disregarding it and
> coming out as 64 bit.

I think there's a -arch which will do the job better; I think someone else on list (possibly Richard) can remember this more reliably than I seem to be able to :-(

 James Aylett
 talktorex.co.uk - xapian.org - devfort.com - spacelog.org