[Xapian-discuss] GSoC 2011

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Feb 26 12:58:13 GMT 2011

We've decided to apply for Google's Summer of Code this year - for
background info on the programme see:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/program/home/google/gsoc2011

We applied last year, and while we didn't get a place, the feedback was
positive and we were encouraged to apply again this year.

I'm happy to act as admin (which I've done for SWIG in the past, so I
know what's involved) and submit the application.

We're putting together a list of project ideas for students on the wiki:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoCProjectIdeas

If you're interested in acting as a mentor for one of the ideas there,
or have an idea for a project with a scope suitable for a student to
complete in about 12 weeks, please update that page.  Ideas without a
potential mentor aren't very useful though, so being willing to mentor
your new idea is helpful.

Ideas don't have to be for work on Xapian itself - projects related to
Xapian in other software are within scope.  A wider range of project
ideas will give us a broader appeal to students.

Mentoring organisation applications open on Monday, close on March 11th,
and are reviewed March 14th-17th, so getting the ideas list sorted out
before 14th is the target.

If a student eligible for GSoC and interested in working on Xapian,
please feel free to get in touch.  You're welcome to propose your own
project idea rather than being restricted to what's on the list.

If you want to discuss being a mentor or a student, or a project idea,
you can do so here or on #xapian on freenode.  There's also a general
GSoC IRC channel - #gsoc - which is also on freenode.