[Xapian-discuss] xapian-compact ok, xapian-check failure

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Jul 20 00:43:31 BST 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:38:23AM +0200, Henry C. wrote:
> Using "delve -d -r68511" I can identify the source index which I then
> delveilter out so automated batch merging can continue.  However, since
> this was the first time I encountered this particular error, I decided
> to check the source index (id'd with delve) with xapian-check and
> interestingly it reports no errors.

"delveilter" -> "filter"?

This sounds like there's a bug in compaction which is mangling a
document length in some cases.

I can't see anything obviously wrong.  Did you check all the source
databases in case you misidentified which it came from?

I had a quick look at the code, but there's nothing obviously wrong.
So some way to reproduce this would be really useful.

> While composing this msg, I decided to run xapian-check on
> tmp_dst/postlist.DB
> and *that* reports no problem (reminder, tmp_dst is the index which
> failed the previous overall xapian-check):

This isn't surprising, since it failed the cross-check with the termlist
table:

> document id 68511: length 32400 doesn't match 27468 in the termlist table
> postlist table errors found: 1

If you only check one table, then the cross-checks aren't performed, only
the lower level checks.