[Xapian-discuss] xapian-compact ok, xapian-check failure

Henry C. henka at cityweb.co.za
Wed Jul 20 11:53:59 BST 2011

On Wed, July 20, 2011 01:43, Olly Betts wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:38:23AM +0200, Henry C. wrote:
>
>> Using "delve -d -r68511" I can identify the source index which I then
>> delveilter out so automated batch merging can continue.  However, since this
>> was the first time I encountered this particular error, I decided to check
>> the source index (id'd with delve) with xapian-check and interestingly it
>> reports no errors.
>
> "delveilter" -> "filter"?

yes, sorry about that - I think my thumb or cat strayed onto the mousepad
while I was typing, or something.

> This sounds like there's a bug in compaction which is mangling a
> document length in some cases.
>
> I can't see anything obviously wrong.  Did you check all the source
> databases in case you misidentified which it came from?
>
> I had a quick look at the code, but there's nothing obviously wrong.

I ran xapian-check on all the sub-indexes and all checked ok.  I then re-ran
the compact and it succeeded :|

I can only assume one of the sub-indexes was bad during the batch run -- and
bad in such a way that it didn't trip xapian-compact.  Not really
xapian-compact's fault in my opinion, more an issue of bull-twang concurrency
checking on my part.

Like you said, a reproducible test-case would be useful, so I'll chuck this
one in the bogus bin for now.

Thanks
Henry