[Xapian-discuss] Debian and Ubuntu packages of 1.2.0

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Jun 28 04:02:41 BST 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:35:20PM +0200, Jérôme Warnier wrote:
> I tried your procedure, that's to say:
>
> sudo apt-get build-dep xapian-bindings
> sudo apt-get install php5-dev php5-cli
> apt-get source xapian-bindings
> cd xapian-bindings-1.2.*
> rm debian/control
> env PHP_VERSIONS=5 debian/rules maint
> debuild -e PHP_VERSIONS=5 -us -uc
> cd ..
> sudo dpkg -i php5-xapian_*.deb
>
> Though, it is failing with this error message:
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc
> dpkg-buildpackage: warning: using a gain-root-command while being root

You don't need to run the build as root (and therefore shouldn't really
- it's best to do as little as root as possible).  But I don't think
that's the problem here.

> dpkg-source: info: building xapian-bindings in xapian-bindings_1.2.3-3.dsc
>  debian/rules build
> dh_testdir
> for python in python2.5 python2.6; do \
> 	    set -e; \
> 	    /usr/bin/make -C debian/build/$python ; \
> 	    make check -C debian/build/$python ; \
> 	done
> make: *** debian/build/python2.5: No such file or directory.  Stop.
> make: *** [debian/build-stamp] Error 2
> dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
> debuild: fatal error at line 1325:
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc failed

I guess this must be debian stable (i.e. squeeze) from the version
number of xapian-bindings.

I just tried this on my stable machine (which is up to date with the
latest point release) and it builds with the commands given (I'm pretty
certain I also tried it originally (before the point release), which is
how I spotted the problem with the argument order in the first version I
posted).

Comparing the output from my build with yours, yours doesn't run the
configure target in debian/rules, which suggests to me that you already
had the stamp file for it present - i.e. you didn't start from a clean
source tree.

If you "rm -rf xapian-bindings-1.2.3" and start again from "apt-get
source xapian-bindings", does that help?

If not, posting the output of this should be helpful:

cd xapian-bindings-1.2.3;ls -lR