[Xapian-discuss] Debian and Ubuntu packages of 1.2.0

Jérôme Warnier jwarnier at beeznest.net
Tue Jun 28 08:11:14 BST 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 04:02 +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:35:20PM +0200, Jérôme Warnier wrote:
> > I tried your procedure, that's to say:
> >
> > sudo apt-get build-dep xapian-bindings
> > sudo apt-get install php5-dev php5-cli
> > apt-get source xapian-bindings
> > cd xapian-bindings-1.2.*
> > rm debian/control
> > env PHP_VERSIONS=5 debian/rules maint
> > debuild -e PHP_VERSIONS=5 -us -uc
> > cd ..
> > sudo dpkg -i php5-xapian_*.deb
> >
> > Though, it is failing with this error message:
> > dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc
> > dpkg-buildpackage: warning: using a gain-root-command while being root
>
> You don't need to run the build as root (and therefore shouldn't really
> - it's best to do as little as root as possible).  But I don't think
> that's the problem here.

I know, this was the output of my last attempt. In despair, I tried it
as root :-) Just in case some hidden directory structure was needed (I
even tried creating the debian/build/python2.{56} by hand, without
success).

> > dpkg-source: info: building xapian-bindings in xapian-bindings_1.2.3-3.dsc
> >  debian/rules build
> > dh_testdir
> > for python in python2.5 python2.6; do \
> > 	    set -e; \
> > 	    /usr/bin/make -C debian/build/$python ; \
> > 	    make check -C debian/build/$python ; \
> > 	done
> > make: *** debian/build/python2.5: No such file or directory.  Stop.
> > make: *** [debian/build-stamp] Error 2
> > dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
> > debuild: fatal error at line 1325:
> > dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc failed
>
> I guess this must be debian stable (i.e. squeeze) from the version
> number of xapian-bindings.

Yes, that's Squeeze.
Actually, this was a followup of my brother's thread with the same subject.

> I just tried this on my stable machine (which is up to date with the
> latest point release) and it builds with the commands given (I'm pretty
> certain I also tried it originally (before the point release), which is
> how I spotted the problem with the argument order in the first version I
> posted).
>
> Comparing the output from my build with yours, yours doesn't run the
> configure target in debian/rules, which suggests to me that you already
> had the stamp file for it present - i.e. you didn't start from a clean
> source tree.

That was it. After so many tries, I forgot to restart from scratch.
Though a dist-clean target would probably be useful.
I think it is one of Debian's goal now to have packages whose source
rebuild once cleaned, without having to unpack the original sources
again.

> If you "rm -rf xapian-bindings-1.2.3" and start again from "apt-get
> source xapian-bindings", does that help?

Of course, that did it.
Thanks a lot for your fast and invaluable help!