[Xapian-discuss] omindex killed

Chris Purves chris at northfolk.ca
Sun Dec 30 12:11:48 GMT 2012

On 29/12/2012 7:22 PM, Chris Purves wrote:
> On 29/12/2012 2:43 PM, Jim Lynch wrote:
>> On 12/29/2012 11:35 AM, Chris Purves wrote:
>>> I have 2 GB of RAM and 1 GB of swap.  The RAM is mostly accessible
>>> when I begin (1.7 GB).  The problem directory contains many about 400
>>> sub-directories with very large text files ~ 2.5 MB.
>>>
>> I just realized that the default (I think) is 10000, so try something
>> smaller.  Maybe start at 1000 and work up.
>> export XAPIAN_FLUSH_THRESHOLD=1000
>
> I have to set it to a ridiculously low value XAPIAN_FLUSH_THRESHOLD=30;
> however, once it has completed I can run again at the default value and
> the already indexed files are skipped, so that should work alright.

Thanks everyone for your help.  I was able to run a full, albeit slow,
initial index with a low flush threshold.  Subsequent indexing is fast
without having to change the default value.

--
Chris Purves
Visit my blog: http://chris.northfolk.ca

"Humans in space suits make monkeys nervous." - Richard Preston