[Xapian-discuss] how to enable debugging

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Mar 6 01:37:31 GMT 2012

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 12:11:25AM +0100, Matteo Zandi wrote:
> sorry for the silly question, but how do you enable debugging in
> xapian? I'm using xapian-tpcsrc and would like it to print debugging
> info (connections, queries, etc).
>
> I'm configuring xapian 1.2.8 on OSX with "./configure
> --enable-debug-verbose", then

That option is no longer supported.  See
http://xapian.org/docs/deprecation - it's --enable-log you want now.
You should get a warning about passing an unknown option to configure
(though it's the first line output, so gets scrolled off the screen
quite soon):

$ ./configure --enable-debug-verbose
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --enable-debug-verbose
[...]

> I read NEWS and HACKING but they seem to have conflicting information

I don't see conflicting information.  The most recent NEWS entry about this
option documents its removal (in 1.1.0):

* configure: --enable-debug and --enable-debug-verbose have been deprecated
  since 1.0.0, so remove specific errors pointing to the replacements.

Older NEWS entries may not be correct for newer releases, but that's
because the NEWS file documents incremental changes in each release.

> PS: what are those NetworkError exceptions?

Just an indication that the server got EOF on the socket (which happens
when the client closes the connection).