[Xapian-discuss] php bindings won't build with MAMP

Peter Van Dijk pvandijk at vision6.com.au
Fri May 18 01:15:14 BST 2012

On 18 May 2012 09:29, Mark Grandi <markgrandi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I'm trying to build the xapian bindings to use with php, i've
> installed using MAMP to make it easier to set up the apache/php/myssql
> stuff (http://www.mamp.info/en/mamp/index.html), but when I try to
> configure the bindings, i get this:
>
> configure: error: '/usr/bin/php-config --includes' reports
> '-I/Applications/MAMP/bin/php/php5.3.6/include/php
> -I/Applications/MAMP/bin/php/php5.3.6/include/php/main
> -I/Applications/MAMP/bin/php/php5.3.6/include/php/TSRM
> -I/Applications/MAMP/bin/php/php5.3.6/include/php/Zend
> -I/Applications/MAMP/bin/php/php5.3.6/include/php/ext
> -I/Applications/MAMP/bin/php/php5.3.6/include/php/ext/date/lib' but zend.h
> can't be included from there
>

> I made it so its using the php-configure from MAMP, so its reporting the
> correct paths, those paths did not exist, but I downloaded the header files
> for the correct php version and stuck them in there, but its still claiming
> it can't find them. I've tried a lot of things and nothing work =(
>
> I read this blog post:
> http://blog.geertvd.be/2011/04/15/using-xapian-on-os-x-with-mamp/ but he
> doesn't list a solution, other then just use php 5.2 (which i really don't
> want to do since i'm using some features that are only in 5.3)
>
> Any ideas? ~Mark

Let me start by saying that this is not a solution: i had (the misfortune
of trying) to configure apache/php on a mac the other day and i found it
considerably easier to use the apache/php installation that comes with OSX
than use MAMP.
Any time i did anything remotely complicated with MAMP i'd get random
segfaults and weird stuff.

Additionally, the built-in php is (i think) 5.3.9 or newer, which is a fair
bit newer than the MAMP version.

Perhaps a 'Mac Person' can provide a better answer?