[Xapian-discuss] Building php5-xapian on Ubuntu 12.04 Server x64

Rowan @ Jetboy rowan at jetboy.co.uk
Sun May 20 12:27:53 BST 2012

As Xapian's been dropped from the Ubuntu repositories, I'm attempting to
build my own .deb from the instructions here:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.general/8855

http://beeznest.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/howto-build-your-own-binaries-of-ph
p-xapian-bindings-for-debian/

I can only get things to progress beyond the first few seconds by leaving
out 'rm debian/control', but if I do, it looks as if the Python and Ruby
bindings are building and passing their versions of smoketest correctly.

However, the PHP part of the build is failing with this error:

    /home/charlie/xapian-bindings-1.2.8/php/smoketest.php:38:
include(xapian.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

    FAIL: smoketest.php

There's a xapian.php file in /home/charlie/xapian-bindings-1.2.8/php/php5/
but if I copy it to /home/charlie/xapian-bindings-1.2.8/php/ or change the
path to it in smoketest.php, the build fails right near the start with:

    dpkg-source: error: aborting due to unexpected upstream changes

Unfortunately I'm out of my comfort zone building from source. Anyone got
any ideas?