[Xapian-discuss] Doc bug for remote database stubs ?

Jean-Francois Dockes jf at dockes.org
Tue Oct 30 20:36:30 GMT 2012

Hi,

In the short description of stubs on http://xapian.org/docs/overview.html,
it seems to me that the "program" line example should have a colon
character before the command name, like in:

  remote :ssh xapian-prog.example.com xapian-progsrv

not, as currently in the document:

  remote ssh xapian-prog.example.com xapian-progsrv

(as appears from dbfactory.cc around line 169, the code expects a colon at
position 0).

To add insult to injury, the further text on the page quite helpfully
specifies that no colon should be found anywhere on the "program" line :)

Also, as this text seems to be the only description of the stub line in the
Xapian documentation (except if I googled it wrong), it may be useful to
give it complete, as I think that it also needs a database directory field,
like in:

  remote :ssh xapian-prog.example.com xapian-progsrv /path/to/db

On the not-documentation side it is not really helpful that the database
object creation silently fails when the line is wrong... Had to follow the
code until I found the colon thing.

I'm a bit surprised that nobody ever remarked this, and quite in doubt that
I am right, but the fact is, that the current example line does not work
and the last one above does...

Cheers,

jf