[Xapian-discuss] Converting MySQL database to Xapian

Michael Lewis mal at icginc.com
Fri Apr 26 14:12:44 BST 2013

Simon,

Thanks for the reply. I believe I can handle the migration. I am really just trying to figure out how to set up xapian so that I can access multiple remote databases for a single search.

For example, let's say the database is broken up into 100 segments. Each segment containing 200,000 documents. These segments are stored on a single server (although at some point in the future multiple servers will contain the segments as the db grows). Let's call this server: serverX. ServerX will be accessed from the Web Server and ServerY which contains various PHP programs to perform searches.

My first question is: On ServerY and the Web Server how do I set-up Xapian for access. In the PHP code do I have to actually know where the databases are located or is that the function of some kind of stub database? In an ideal world the stub database file would contain a xapian db segment name and a host address and port where the actual segment resides.

My second question is: What do I run on the ServerX listening on the port? I've seen two references xapian-tcpsrv and something else. It would appear that tcpsrv would be the server of choice, but I'm not sure.

Is there anything special that I have to do on the clients to access ServerX?

Thanks,

Michael