[Xapian-discuss] delve not found

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Jan 27 09:16:12 GMT 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 01:34:50PM +0100, Ashley Smith wrote:
> Today I just cloned Xapian and Xapian-Docsprint from your GitHub repos
> and was working through the practical example in Python in your
> Getting Started with Xapian 1.2 guide. However after the index was
> generated, I wasn't able to inspect it with delve because the command
> was not found.
>
> My system set-up is a fresh install of Debian 7.8.0 as a virtual
> machine under Virtual Box, and I followed your HACKING and INSTALL
> guides for the dependencies and to bootstrap the config script, run
> the script (but without any special options/flags enabled), and then
> make and make install. I read that Xapian is already available
> packaged on Debian, and delve is part of that package. But in my case,
> how do I get delve up and running?

If you want the packaged delve, it's in the xapian-tools package on
Debian.

If you've built git master and want the delve from that, it's been
renamed to xapian-delve.  Executables installed from trunk will have a
"-1.3" suffix by default, to make it easier to co-install them with a
stable version of Xapian, so you probably want "xapian-delve-1.3".

The "Getting Started with Xapian 1.2" general focuses on 1.2.x (hence
the title), though the new name is mentioned in at least one section:

http://getting-started-with-xapian.readthedocs.org/en/latest/advanced/admin_notes.html#inspecting-a-database

We should probably note it more prominently though, as IIRC one of
the packaged versions of Xapian 1.2 installs it as xapian-delve.