[Xapian-discuss] compiler on ms

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Jul 6 12:55:07 BST 2015

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 12:30:35PM -0700, Eric Lindblad wrote:
> I don't know if it would be of any use - and I know that
> the configure script searches for gawk, sed and grep -
> but Watcom has free 32 and 64 bit compilers, and
> the msvc files for Xapian no longer appear to be
> maintained, so perhaps Xapian build files written for
> [Open] Watcom could be made, as such allocating also
> for the zlib and libuuid dependencies.

I would encourage anyone interested to try to get builds to work with
the existing build system.  It ought to be possible, and is likely to
require less effort than building and maintaining an entire parallel
build system.

Maintenance was the real problem with the "MSVC makefiles", and I can't
see that being all that different just by changing the compiler that
you're building a parallel build system for.