[Xapian-discuss] compiler on ms

Charlie Hull charlie at juggler.net
Mon Jul 6 13:11:11 BST 2015

On 06/07/2015 12:55, Olly Betts wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 12:30:35PM -0700, Eric Lindblad wrote:
>> I don't know if it would be of any use - and I know that
>> the configure script searches for gawk, sed and grep -
>> but Watcom has free 32 and 64 bit compilers, and
>> the msvc files for Xapian no longer appear to be
>> maintained, so perhaps Xapian build files written for
>> [Open] Watcom could be made, as such allocating also
>> for the zlib and libuuid dependencies.
>
> I would encourage anyone interested to try to get builds to work with
> the existing build system.  It ought to be possible, and is likely to
> require less effort than building and maintaining an entire parallel
> build system.
>
> Maintenance was the real problem with the "MSVC makefiles", and I can't
> see that being all that different just by changing the compiler that
> you're building a parallel build system for.

As the erstwhile maintainer of the MSVC makefiles (and my apologies for
not keeping up) I can wholeheartedly agree: they were a massive pain to
maintain.

The reason I originally took the project on was that we needed a
MSVC-compiled Python binding for Xapian (as this was the only thing that
would work with the Python for Windows binary release) and you couldn't
build this with Mingw etc. This may or may not still be the case.

Cheers

Charlie