Strange index consistency issue

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Jan 14 02:23:36 GMT 2016

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 02:53:14AM +0000, Bob Cargill wrote:
> I am the recoll user mentioned in the first post above. I still have a copy
> of the (potentially) corrupted index and I did the requested testing.
>
> I ran delve -t '' ./xapiandb on the index and it returned a very long list
> of document IDs, separated by spaces. I than ran delve -t '' ./xapiandb |
> grep " 6 " and it returned nothing.
>
> So, document 6 was not in the list.
>
> There were other documents missing from the index as well, so I ran delve -t
> '' ./xapiandb | head -c 100
> The first ID was 257, then it began sequentially from 356. Looks like the
> first approximately 350 document IDs are "missing."

OK, that matches what I suspected was happening.

I've extended xapian-check so it should catch this case - you can get
the patch here ("Unified Diff" link at the bottom):

http://trac.xapian.org/changeset/ee3bc009d98a7cea8a2944135f38626e73bbcae3/git

> I will look into the bug you listed to see if it might be related. If there
> is anything else that I can do, please let me know.

If that bug is not the cause, it would be good to get to the bottom of this -
the database shouldn't become corrupt like this.