RESTful xapian server needs help

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Mar 15 05:26:33 GMT 2016

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 09:43:41AM -0600, German M. Bravo wrote:
> Please help us. We have two options, but this is very important for us
> to get either of one (preferably option A) committed for the next
> version of xapian-core, otherwise the server wouldn't compile or
> wouldn't be fully featured with out-of-the-box xapian and our efforts
> would have been useless for the community for the whole time until the
> next stable version of xapian.

I think most of this has been addressed by or obsoleted by more recent
discussions on IRC.

But I think the key points from those discussions are worth noting here,
as not everyone idles on IRC or reads the channel logs:

* It's really way too late to be trying to push for major new features
  to go in before 1.4.0 - this email back in October was effectively the
  last call: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.general/9891
  We've already made a number of hard-nosed decisions about things to
  cut.

* However, almost everything you want to do can be achieved by adding
  API methods, so can be added in 1.4.x.

* You need to focus on anything which can't be done in 1.4.x, and you
  don't have much time - we're probably a few weeks away from a release
  at this point.  If someone has a sane patch including tests and
  documentation ready to go, I'm unlikely to reject it, but I'm also
  unlikely to hold the release for it.  By "sane" I mean a patch I don't
  have to iterate much on, which has a low risk/reward ratio, etc.  I'm
  likely to get more conservative as we close in on 1.4.0.

* Open tickets in trac for things!  And with a sensible granularity.  If
  there's not a ticket in trac for something, it essentially doesn't
  exist from the point of view of release planning.