Welcome to the "Xapian-discuss" mailing list

James Aylett james at tartarus.org
Wed Jun 20 21:09:55 BST 2018

On 20 Jun 2018, at 20:39, Gaby Goldberg <gaby.goldberg at rivdata.com> wrote:

> I'm new to Xapian and wanted to know if it has a specific feature. I want
> to be able to check the relation between two terms on a page based on how
> close they are together on the page. I want to use a combination of n-gram
> based labeling and the "slop" feature found in Elasticsearch. Does Xapian
> have this/a similar feature? I haven't been able to find any programs that
> have features similar to the "slop" feature on Elasticsearch yet.

Hi, Gaby — you're probably looking for the window parameter of the NEAR positional operator. I realise as I write this that it isn't terribly well-documented in the API, but there are hints here:

https://xapian.org/docs/apidoc/html/classXapian_1_1Query.html#adb287c496f72327d1c1411fac0570ea9

I've added some notes to our missing documentation list [1] that we need to work on this!

[1] https://trac.xapian.org/wiki/MissingDocumentation

 James Aylett
 devfort.com — spacelog.org — tartarus.org/james/