Amount of writes during index creation

Jean-Francois Dockes jf at dockes.org
Mon Jan 21 14:25:01 GMT 2019

Hi,

I have had a problem report from a Recoll user about the amount of writes
during index creation.

https://opensourceprojects.eu/p/recoll1/tickets/67/

The issue is that the index is on SSD and that the amount of writes is
significant compared to the SSD life expectancy (index size > 250 GB).

>From the numbers he supplied, it seems to me that the total amount of block
writes is roughly quadratic with the index size.

First question: is this expected, or is Recoll doing something wrong ?

Second question: for now, the user is creating multiple indexes, and
querying them in parallel. This reduces the amount of writes by a factor of
three. Is this the best approach, are there other possibilities ?

Cheers,

J.F. Dockes