Amount of writes during index creation

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Jan 30 03:10:49 GMT 2019

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 03:25:01PM +0100, Jean-Francois Dockes wrote:
> I have had a problem report from a Recoll user about the amount of writes
> during index creation.
>
> https://opensourceprojects.eu/p/recoll1/tickets/67/
>
> The issue is that the index is on SSD and that the amount of writes is
> significant compared to the SSD life expectancy (index size > 250 GB).
>
> From the numbers he supplied, it seems to me that the total amount of block
> writes is roughly quadratic with the index size.
>
> First question: is this expected, or is Recoll doing something wrong ?

It isn't expected.

I think this is probably due to a bug which coincidentally was
discovered earlier this week by Germán M. Bravo.  I've now fixed it
and backported ready for 1.4.10.  If you're able to test to confirm
if this solves your problem that would be very useful - see
f19bcb96857419469f74f748e7fe8eaccaedc0fd on the RELEASE/1.4 branch:

https://git.xapian.org/?p=xapian;a=commitdiff;h=f19bcb96857419469f74f748e7fe8eaccaedc0fd

Anything which uses a term for a unique document identifier is likely to
be affected.