A corrupt index

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Nov 25 03:15:01 GMT 2021

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 03:15:08PM +0100, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> I was thinking that xapian-compact would write an index with valid
> content, but maybe the corruption in the original index tricked it.

Compaction just copies a lot of the table entries as-is - it doesn't
need to unpack and repack every entry to work, and it's much faster
to just copy them.

Sometimes keys need adjusting, and some "tags" (as they're called in the
code) do too, but termlist table tags don't.

> I decided to give regenerating the index from scratch a go - I started
> it during the weekend, and it looks like it is "only" going to take
> around a week in total.
>
> So rather than wasting more of your time trying to decorrupt-at-a-
> distance, I will switch over to a new, freshly created glass index,
> hopefully later this week.

Sounds like a good plan.  It should be significantly smaller and faster
rebuilt for glass too.