Release plans

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Mar 9 04:02:15 GMT 2023

On Wed, Mar 08, 2023 at 10:48:59PM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:
> > * adding update support to the new honey backend (to replace glass)
>
> Just wondering if there's docs on what improvements users can
> expect from honey.  Mainly smaller size?

Quite a lot smaller.  Also indexing should be significantly faster (hard
to say how much right now as that's still to finish off!)  It also
reports tighter bounds on some stats, which should help the matcher
optimiser better.

> > I know at least one major user of Xapian has been using builds based
> > on git master for several years so it's already seen real-world use.
>
> Wow, that's honey even w/o update support?  I can't fathom
> rewriting a large DB multiple times a day.

No, with the glass backend - that's still fully supported by git master.

Though separately I believe https://endlessos.com/ are using honey.