[Xapian-devel] updated .spec file for xapian (FC6)

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Nov 8 15:30:57 GMT 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 11:18:21PM +0800, Fabrice Colin wrote:
> On 11/8/06, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:
> >I think we also want to run "autoreconf --force" in xapian-omega's and
> >xapian-binding's spec files too for the same reason we do here.
>
> Why is autoreconf needed ? I didn't run into any difficulty with libtool
> when rebuilding the RPMs on FC6/x86-64, or applications that depend
> on Xapian. Or did I miss something ?

The libtool I bootstrap with (1.5.22 + a few patches) doesn't correctly
detect that /usr/lib64 is on the default dynamic linker search path so
it sets an rpath on the various binaries (xapian-compact, etc) for
/usr/lib64 because it thinks that libxapian.so won't be found there
otherwise.

This doesn't cause any obvious problems, so you wouldn't notice it in
normal use.  But many linux distros dislike having such rpaths
(they can cause problems in some cases but I don't recall the details
off the top of my head).  Fedora require it isn't set (Debian have a
similar requirement, but they use /usr/lib32 and /usr/lib not /usr/lib
and /usr/lib64 so we don't encounter this issue there).

FC6 has a patched libtool which knows about /usr/lib64.  I've come up
with a patch for libtool which seems to do the job everywhere, so I
might use that instead for the next release, and submit it upstream.
But without patching the libtool I'm using, this autoreconf call is
required.