[Xapian-devel] Build problems

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Feb 12 12:43:30 GMT 2007

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 12:22:53PM +0000, James Aylett wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 12:16:58PM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:
> > Current HEAD won't build as I'm part way through updating the
> > stemmers, but it was in reasonable shape before that.  The ixion
> > builds were OK, except the arm cross compiler seems to have lost
> > the C++ "string" header (and all the other STL headers from what
> > I can see!)
>
> Annoyingly, I just updated to HEAD, so now I can't build either :-)

I'm trying to split out the changes I made to snowball into
a series of self-contained patches and offer them upstream so it
may be a few days before HEAD is working properly I'm afraid.

The last snapshot to bootstrap successfully was rev 7624, so you
should just be able to do:

svn up -r7624

> The arm problem is probably that I uninstalled g++-3.0; if the arm
> compiler package doesn't have its own header files, there's not much I
> can do about that, as having the GCC v3.0 around these days is asking
> for trouble.
>
> Actually, scratch that - the arm GCC is v2.95, so it needs g++-2.95,
> which I removed at the same time. I'll put that back, and hopefully
> it'll sort itself out. GCC should really be split into -base and
> arch-specific packages, though... assuming the g++-arm package is from
> Debian proper, and not some bodge I found somewhere... :)

It would definitely be good to keep 2.95 available as that's the oldest
GCC which we can sensibly support, so it's good to have it in the
tinderbox.  It's not arduous to support either, and has lasting
popularity because it was better in some ways that the earlier 3.X
versions.

Losing the arm crossbuild wouldn't be a big deal though - it's really
only there because the tinderbox script automatically searches for
compilers by default.