[Xapian-devel] GSoC: PHP bindings

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Apr 3 12:52:25 BST 2012

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 09:54:05AM +0200, riadh chtara wrote:
>    - I think that the first part is a little bit shorter than the second
>    one. What do you think?

I'd think the changes to SWIG would take a lot more time than adjusting
the wrapped API.

Maybe it is worth noting that you can plan to tackle things in whatever
order seems most sensible.  The changes to the existing wrapped API
might serve as a more gentle start, but doing the larger part of the
project first would mean you'd be more likely to have more actually
completed if things take longer than expected.

>    - Do you think it would be better to redesign the hole php xapian api?

I don't think so - change without a good reason will just annoy existing
users of the PHP API.

>    - who will be mentoring this project?

We're intending to use a similar "group mentoring" approach as we did
last year, so you'll be expected to discuss issues and ask questions in
the IRC channel or on the mailing list, which is better for you as it
means you don't have to wait for your mentor to be able to respond, and
better for us as it makes it easier to keep track of how everyone's
doing.  Public communication is also the way open source projects
usually work, and GSoC is meant to give you experience of working in
an open source project.

You'll have an official mentor, partly because someone needs to be
in Google's system as your mentor, but they are also responsible for
making sure you do get a response, and things like that.  We won't
decide who is in that role for each project until we have the final list
of selected projects.