[Xapian-devel] Willing to work in Improving Python Bindings.

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Tue Dec 2 16:33:14 GMT 2014

On 30 Nov 2014, at 20:14, Priyank Bhatt <priyankbhatt1234 at gmail.com> wrote:

> As mentioned on the project ideas page ,  I would like to work on improving Python Bindings , I have basic hands on experience in Python and sufficient knowledge in C++ , I started with looking at the resource provided on Project ideas page ,So anyone can further guide me on this project.

Priyank — our guide for potential students[1] is helpful (even if you’re working outside of GSoC) in guiding you through what we feel you need in order to tackle a decent-sized project as part of Xapian. The project description says that knowledge of Python’s C API is helpful, but I assume you don’t have that, in which case I’d recommend looking either at the doccomments issue[2] or making a PyPI package. Either way (and in general for any project you tackle for pretty much anything!) you should start by writing a plan of how you intend to tackle the problem, since this gives both a structure to your work and a way of reviewing how you’re doing. You can of course ask here on the mailing list for people to review a plan.

If you have further questions, just fire away — bear in mind that it’s much easier for us to respond to concrete questions (“I’ve tried such and such and seen this thing happen” or “I’m seeing this error when building”) than general ones (“what should I do next?”), so the more you can drill down to specifics the faster we should be able to help you.

[1] http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC%20Guide
[2] http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/263

--
 James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker