[Xapian-devel] Test errors on fresh installation

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Feb 27 06:56:37 GMT 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 08:20:00PM +0530, Ankit Agrawal wrote:
>        I updated my local repo and built it again, but still getting the
> error. I took a look at python3/test-suite.log file, but I could not locate
> the source of test failure. Please find attached the log file with this
> email. I am available on IRC(nick : ankit_agrawal) if that seems a
> convenient medium for you to help me out with this issue. Thanks.

Hmm, the log isn't very informative.

I'd suggest running the tests under the debugger, so that you can find
out where the segfault happens.

To do that, change to the python3 directory and use the run-python-test
script.  We set PYTHON3 to run python3 under gdb (I'm assuming "python3"
is your Python3 interpreter - if not, you may need to change that):

cd xapian-bindings/python3
PYTHON3='gdb --args python3' ./run-python-test smoketest.py

You may need to install gdb (the GNU debugger) first - it'll probably be
in a package called "gdb".

You should get a "(gdb)" prompt - type "run" at that to actually run the
program (it doesn't run right away to give you a chance to set
breakpoints, watchpoints, etc, but we don't need to for this).

When it segfaults, you should get back to the "(gdb)" prompt.   Then
"bt" should give you a backtrace showing where the crash happens (the
lowest level functions come first, so are the most interesting).