[Xapian-devel] Question regarding LETOR

Parth Gupta pargup8 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 08:01:55 GMT 2014

Hi Mayank,

1. Could you please provide me with the link for query-file, qrel-file for
> the dataset available at
> http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/departments/d5/software/inex/ .

Very recently I have added a small section "exercise to warm-up" for
Learning-to-Rank Project on Project idea page (
http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoCProjectIdeas#Project:LearningtoRank ), you
should do this exercise. You the information you ask there.

> 2. I wanted to know how automated testing would be implemented. Will there
> be test cases like a test query must match this particular N results and
> this particular ranking. Or will it be in terms of evaluation of the IR
> algorithm something like MAP and NDCG score must >= a particular value?

Yes, for the ranking algorithms, the automated test contains set of
queries, their relevance judgments and document collection. For this part,
you dont need a large dataset like INEX. For example, you can take 20
simple documents, prepare 5 queries on them and judge each document of that
query as relevant or non-relevant. During the test, run the algorithms on
this dataset and see what is/are the value of MAP and/or NDCG and/or other
evaluation metrics. Ideally, each time the value should be same if the
ranking algorithm/process or evaluation metric itself is not changed.

> 3. When are you available at IRC? It's easier to communicate through IRC
> (atleast for me).

These days I am not able to catch up the discussions on IRC, so yes, if I
am there and see you, will ping otherwise just ask your questions there and
then someone from our side will respond (if its not specifically meant for
only me).

> This question is rather just because I was curious. Is there nothing like
> K-fold validation in Learning to Rank?

Well, k-fold validation is more on the evaluation side and is very much
part of the learning-to-rank culture in fact whenever machine learning is
involved, k-fold validation becomes inevitable. Usually you see this
feature a lot when the library is especially meant for researchers. K-fold
validation is yet to be included in the xapian-letor and it would be
addressed with the evaluation metric issues.

Cheers,
Parth.