Weighting Schemes -- Project Progress

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sat Jun 11 08:37:37 BST 2016

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 12:40:37PM +0530, Vivek Pal wrote:

> I'm now looking to start writing documentation for BM25+ weighting
> function. Would it be a good idea to start already and alongside make
> changes to the PR as required after its review?

I'm happy for you to add documentation changes on top of the PR if we
haven't merged it by then.

Before proceeding with another weighting scheme, I think it'd be a
good idea to look at evaluating BM25+. Olly and I were talking about
this yesterday, and it'd be helpful to know how it does against plain
BM25.

Guarav's previous evaluation work isn't up to date with master (in
particular it references some work we never merged, since it didn't
perform well enough to justify the complexity). However it's a good
starting point, and it would be good to pull it into the main
repository in any case.

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org